It’s been a winning combination for me for many years trying to fix shit.
Sometimes you have to stop, regroup and take a different tack though.
There are times when patience and finesse are required.
There are also times when all 4 methods need to be applied in repeating sequences.
I just spent 2 1/2 hours getting this Aluminum pulley off this 80 year old electric motor, without breaking it or fucking it up too badly.
There was a little bit of everything involved but I finally had to resort to heat.
That was the deciding factor this time.
Now I have to tear into this motor.
It’s a strange beast.
It’s a Repulsion-Induction motor.
It uses brushes to get started and then it has a bizarre copper spring centrifugal switch that kicks the brushes out of the equation and induction takes over to keep it running.
You can see what I am talking about in the video below.
The brushes are always in contact though. It also has a strange feature where you can loosen a couple of screws, turn the whole brush assembly a little bit and make the motor spin the other way when it starts up.
On top of all of that, there is a weird cover over the center of the bottom of the motor. If you take that cover off there is a short shaft there that you could use to power something else with at the same time as the drill press by sticking a pulley on it.
I got extremely lucky and found a video on Youtube of a guy fixing a very similar one, also made by DELTA, that was in extremely bad condition.
It was a kind of trial and error effort on his part because he had never worked on one either but he got it figured out and fixed so I am going to use his video as a reference guide.
It’s kind of long but you can either jump ahead or go watch it on Youtube and change the playback speed also.