It’s still clean.
You won’t see that ever again.
The thing is, how do I put this, “Functional” again.
It is far from being done at this point but I did stick a hunk of bar stock in it, dug around and found a POS hand ground cutter bit that was so dull that I could hear it rubbing on the work piece and proceeded to do a function check.
It will make chips at this point but that is about as far as I am going to go with that.
I still have to go through that pile of scrap they call a compound, still have to strip down and repaint the chip tray, build a stand, finish dialing in the compound and about twenty other little items but as I said, it will make chips again.
I will say that I am kind of proud of myself that it turned out so pretty. More the shame that I am going to ruin it’s good looks but I don’t own Bench Queens.
Never have and never will.
They are tools and they were made to work. When you work, you get dirty. End of story.
No amount of shining and polishing is going to keep this thing pretty.
Oil, dirty hands and greasy chips flying all over will have it grungy and dirty in no time.
I’m fine with that.
If it’s sitting there all pretty that means it hasn’t been working.
Now that it is mostly together I can start cleaning up the huge freaking mess that went right along with this project.
Between that and moving stuff all over last weekend, right off the top of my head I know that there are parts, fasteners, tooling, extra chucks and everything that goes with this lathe scattered all over that damn garage.
I can think of at least nine different drawers in six different tool boxes that has something that goes with this lathe in it right this minute.
But it’s come a long way since I started this upgrade and I think I am going to be happier than a clam at high tide when I finally get it all dialed in.