Thank you God.
As a matter of fact, it has never sounded this good gear noise wise.
The synchros are nice and smooth and everything.
There is still an absolute shit ton of work that needs to be done.
I see the floor boards need to be replaced even after I did my best to treat them last year, the tires that still have 95% of the tread on them are split inside the treads from age, there is no interior and the seats are shot too.
I found out that the shop I spent $3500 at having them go through this thing after I rebuilt the engine fucked me in several places.
The pinch bolt that I specifically asked to have replaced with an original replacement that holds the steering column to the steering rack was loose, some random bolt that looked like a Beaver gnawed the end off of had been stuck in there and the nut was stripped and ready to fall completely off.
This angers me greatly because I almost got killed in this fucker along with my ex wife when I pulled out onto a highway with traffic coming at me in the other lane and no barriers.
I pulled out, hit the gas, pulled back on the steering wheel for leverage to get more comfortable in the seat and the steering column slipped off the splines because it had the wrong bolt in it. All at once, with a one ton Ford pickup barreling at me, the steering wheel just spun in my hands and the car started veering into oncoming traffic.
One more time The Good Lord was with me and I pushed back on the steering wheel, got damn lucky and the steering column splines just happened to line up with the steering rack splines and it slid right back on.
I whipped it back into my lane and immediately pulled over.
Needless to say the Ex was less than impressed.
So I fixed that fucking thing today after I noticed it.
Yesterday while I was underneath the thing I found out why the Emergency brake hadn’t been working either. There is a Rube Goldberg set up on the rear axle that has a twisting capstan and two metal rods that go to the levers through the back of the brake backing plate.
It is cable actuated from the handle inside. Pull the handle, the cable twists the capstan and pulls on the rods to actuate the brake shoes.
There is a 1/4 inch round pin that connects the rods to the levers and BOTH of them were gone!
That one pissed me off too.
I dug through my crap and came up with a couple and got that back together. I also replaced the Split Gauge again. It is a two inch round gauge on the dash. The top half reads oil pressure, the bottom is a mechanical temperature gauge.
I bought one a year ago and it has been sitting in a box ever since.
Another $150 into the void.
I see that the thing has excellent oil pressure now, 70 lbs at cold idle.
So as much work and money that still needs to be thrown at the fucker, it is a Turn Key Driver again.
It is also officially For Sale.
I would be embarrassed to sit down and add up all the time and money I have thrown at this thing over the years and I know I’ll never get even a fraction of it back but what I am asking for the whole car with all the new parts and a literal pickup load of spares is exactly what a rebuilt Plain Jane engine plus the core charge would cost if you were to buy one from Mini Mania.
I want $5500 for ALL OF IT.
Bring cash, a truck with a trailer, a buddy and be prepared to spend a couple of hours digging parts out. I even still have the original 1098 engine that came in it with a bad #4 rod bearing. There is a spare hood, both front fenders, two complete doors and a trunk lid also.
That doesn’t even begin to count all the little crap I have collected over the years.
The engine in it is a 1275 and has been completely gone through, bored 0.20 over and runs very strong. The head was sent out and completely gone through with a valve grind, resurface, new springs and exhaust valve guides put in it. That was well North of $600 right there and then I ported it. I also put a Billet Rear Main Seal kit in it so the damn thing doesn’t leak oil out that back like all stock engines do.
That was another $200 plus me machining the flywheel.
New clutch, throw out bearing, bushings in the arm plus this transmission. I drilled the rear axle flanges and the front hubs and put 1/2″ wheel studs in it too.New gas tank, fuel pump and turn signal switch. Put new front end bushings in it a few years ago, it has new inner and outer tie rods up front.
The convertible top is two years old.
I also have a Still In The Box carpet kit for it that goes with it.
So if you or someone you know is into pain, disappointment, possible financial ruin, don’t mind being randomly stranded in freeway traffic, have towing coverage, lots of time, patience and money burning a hole in your pocket, drop me a line at Bustednuckles AT protonmailDOT COM and I will sit down and start listing all of the new parts, used parts upgrades and modifications I have done to this thing, get a bunch of pictures of the horrors eagerly waiting to haunt your nightmares and we shall see if you have what it takes to remove this half a lifetime lesson in stubbornness out of my life.
OR, if you have a Spridget in decent condition, buy this damn thing and part it out. It will save you a couple-three grand easy.
Only the certifiably insane need apply.
Tire kickers and Originalist snobs will get the verbal beat down of a lifetime if you attempt to waste my time.
Don’t even think I am kidding.