I got woke up after a horrible nights sleep by the doorbell this morning.
I managed to stagger around and get the door open just in time blurt out a thank you to a Fed Ex driver who was already half way down the driveway heading back to his truck.
I knew what was in the package so I set it down next to my recliner and tried to get some more sleep.
A couple hours later I finally blinked my eyes open and groaned as I heaved my crippled up old ass out of the chair and headed to the coffee pot.
It took me a bit to get going today. After I got my heart beating I set down again and tried to make heads or tails out of this unemployment claim I have been messing with since yesterday. What a genuine fur lined clusterfuck this process is.
I shit you not, I had TWELVE tabs open on my laptop just for that and STILL didn’t have a fucking clue as to what the hell is going on. I have been dicking with this off and on all damn day. I THINK, that I finally have a valid claim filed as I finally found a claim number. I am still not sure where to go next so I have also found a phone number that I guarantee I will be dialing over a hundred times tomorrow ,trying to get an overworked and miserable unemployment agent to talk to. All I can do is try at this point. There is so much contradictory information even a fucking lawyer would be pulling his hair out trying to get it straight.
Anyways, enough of that shit, on to the reason for the title of this post.
The package I got was the 4 inch chuck adapter I ordered from Jolly Olde England a few days ago.
I flat out ignored it all day. I had some other project I was working on and I finally got that finished first.
Then I put a bunch of tools away and opened up the package.
A little ding on the outer edge but other than that it was a piece of art compared to the POS I saw on FleaBay last week,
Well worth the wait.
I dug the chuck out and cleaned all the grit out of it, discovered it has reversible jaws and lubed it all up nice then slapped the adapter on it to see how it fit.
Then I took the adapter over to the Mini Lathe, took the collet chuck off and test fit it on the spindle.
Another beautiful fit.
Cleaned everything up shiny and put it all together.
It’s heavy and it sticks out a long way on the 7X10 Mini Lathe bed but it’s going to work.
Just .001 runout on a hunk of 1/2 bar I had laying around.
The jaws don’t close all the way, when they are run all the way in there is an opening so there won’t be any teeny tiny things getting worked on with it but thankfully I now have that collet chuck and a whole set of collets for that.
It will be a while at this point but The Good Lord willing, down the road I will get a 4 inch 3 jaw chuck, with the fucking adapter, to fill in that hole in my capabilities.
This of course has opened a Brand New can of worms as there is a torque increase upgrade that can be done to help the thing along at slow speeds. You can hear the little motor crying it’s eyes out trying to maintain speed when a load is put on the chuck at slow speeds because it is so heavy. Believe it or not, there are actually 5 inch chuck conversions available for these things!
I think this is pushing it far enough.
With the recent events unfolding and me being unenjoyed, I am damn glad I paid for this before I got laid off as it would have been out of the question at this point.
So two projects down today. I have no end of things to do and after I get this unemployment thing straightened out I am going to start knocking them out one at a time.
Who knows, I may even make an attempt to clean the garage a bit.
First I have some tool boxes that need to get rearranged and straightened out though. I see another round of downsizing in my future.
Some shit that just needs to go.
If it’s still usable I will find a home for it, if not….