I’m sure you will be as surprised as I was too.
It actually runs.
Runs excellent too.
Of course this comes at a a cost.
A Blood Sacrifice was necessary.
It usually works out that way, even if it was my own damn fault for being a Dumbass.
I was trying to clean up the nasty old nuts and bolts that held down the old engine on the wire wheel and it grabbed one of those motherfuckers, slammed it against the tool rest, it bounced and the wheel grabbed it again and just fucking HAMMERED my thumb. I shit you not, it happened so fast that I have seen lightning bolts that were slow compared to it. It literally felt like I had laid my thumb down on an anvil and someone had taken a full swing with a Ball Peen Hammer.
Felt like I broke the sonofabitch it hurt so much. Then I couldn’t find the fucking bolt, it took me three attempts and it wound up being less than a foot away, sitting on top of the coiled up air hose on my compressor. I was moving shit all over looking for it on the ground and it was three feet up.
Even better, after I wised up and got some Vise Grips out to finish the job, I found out I didn’t even need the damn things!
When I went to mount the new engine I re-discovered that the mounting holes were threaded for a 3/8’s bolt and the old one just had holes in it for 5/16’s bolts with nuts on them. Then I had to open up the holes on the mounting plate for the bigger bolts too. After I got it mounted I changed the oil in it, put some gas in the tank and dribbled a little into the carb.
I probably had to yank on the cord at least ten times and at one point I pulled the plug wire off and put it next to the spark plug to see if it was firing and it was.
Pretty soon I could tell it was trying to fire up and run.
Three more pulls and it just started rolling over by its self and then took off at a nice slow idle.
I was absolutely Gobsmacked at how nice it was running because I never touched any of the mixture screws when I was messing with it on the bench.
It ran for a minute or two and then I throttled it up a bit and it never missed a lick.
Some black smoke came out of it, probably burning some crap out of the muffler and then it cleared up and ran strong.
There isn’t a Kill Switch wired up to it yet but the wire is there and has a bare end on it. I reached over and grabbed an insulated handled pry bar and jammed the wire up against the housing and it shut off
. Just to make sure this little episode wasn’t an anomaly, I yanked on the cord again and it fired right up.
I had taken the double pulley off the old engine before I dismounted it and found out that flange had been broken off sometime in the past, it actually came off pretty easy for me.
I hardly had to tighten the clam shell puller up at all before it started moving and so I just got it out far enough to get behind the pulley and it slid right off using two pry bars.
Something tells me this ain’t going to be real easy to find.
But apparently it has been working like that in the past so back on it will go, I hope.
As in I hope the damn shaft diameters are the same, I haven’t taken the pulley off the new motor yet,
I came in to file this report and lick my wounds for a minute first.
Bleeding or not, I am one happy old Redneck right at the moment.