Of course it was the usual absolute fiasco getting to this point but such is my lot in life apparently.
People still wonder why I’m so fucking stubborn too.
Because I have to be.
Nothing I try to do goes easy, it’s always gotta be a series of set backs and work arounds.
This was no exception.
The motor I wanted to use and already had mounted spun the wrong way of course.
It’s a Dayton 115/220 volt motor with a capacitor start.
Shouldn’t be too hard to swap things around, right?
Oh fuck no. I dicked around with the sonofabitch while it was still mounted, finally got pissed off and unbolted it, then turned it sideways and hung it at eye level so I could see what the hell I was doing.
One of the studs broke off because it was corroded to beat hell and even with the wiring diagram staring me right in the face, no matter what I did, it would only spin one way.
I finally got out one of the probably six Harbor Freight Freebie digital voltmeters I have laying around and started doing continuity checks.
I have so many of those things there was literally one two feet away, still in the package.
On a 220-240-480 3 phase motor, you just swap out any two of the three wires and away you go. Not so with this bitch and 115 volts.
One of the leads from the capacitor is soldered in on the back side to one of the power lead studs.
Hence, I will have to tear the thing apart, de-solder and move one of the wires.
I ain’t got the patience for that shit today.
I tried the other Dayton almost exactly like it on the floor and it spun the wrong way too. Back to the motor that supposedly came off of the thing in the first place.
Something tells me that it wasn’t original equipment either.
That funky homemade brass shaft adapter being my first clue.
This time I bench tested the fucker first but of course, I had to make up a power cord first and out of all of the shit I have laying around out there, I didn’t have a spare Male plug for it. I had to take one off of my drop light first.
The motor didn’t spin very freely by hand either. I suspect that it hadn’t been oiled in thirty years or so.
After I cleaned several decades worth of dirt, grease and grime off the fucker, I put some oil in the little cups and spun it a few times. Not much improvement right away. I wired it up, set it on the floor, put my foot on it and plugged it in.
The first thing that had gone right so far, it spun the correct way.
Gotta use different mounting bolts, of course.
Finally got the cocksucker mounted with the belt and pulley on it and wired up.
Pushed the Start button and away it went.
The motor freed up after it ran for a couple of minutes, finally got some oil in there and then I started cleaning up the spindle.
Some asshole really did number on it in the past.
This kind of abuse just pisses me off,
Some asshole pounding on it with a hammer in the past and dinged the shit out of it, all the way around it.
It is what it is.
I stuffed a chuck in it, dug out the complete piece of garbage Harbor Freight drill press vise I could never use before and threw a bit in the chuck and some scrap in the vise.
Away we go.
Yeah, I know, the vise ain’t bolted down. I had a hold of one of the handles in case the bit grabbed so it wouldn’t go sailing just in case and it wasn’t super tight to begin with.
I just wanted to see if it actually worked finally.
I wasn’t kidding when I said that vise is garbage either. I did a post on it after I bought it and had to tear it completely apart. I can honestly say that it is the worst piece of shit I have ever purchased from Harbor Freight. Incredibly, almost unbelievably horrible.
Do not even let a friend buy one of those fuckers, ever.
I will be scouring the internet here shortly for something at least half way decent and getting a hold down set too. I have another drill press vise but it’s yet another HF POS but it will do for now. I have a couple of small machinist vises too.
The Hold Down set is on the short list for Christmas. They aren’t that expensive.
There is still a bunch of cleaning and other things to do yet but just getting it back together and working again was my main objective.
I haven’t measured it yet but from watching it, there doesn’t seem to be a whole bunch of run out either. The one thing I was really worried about the most of all, getting it back together and seeing the bit flailing around in the wind.
Pretty amazing after seeing all the hammer marks on the spindle.
All in all I am just tickled shitless right now.