Yeah, no post yesterday because I was kind of busy.
We are supposed to go on “vacation” here in a few weeks so we have been going over the Wifely Unit’s vehicle getting it ready.
I had her take it up to a tire shop last week because I think the front struts are weak.
They said they couldn’t find anything wrong with those but…….
Needed two back tires.
So while we were having a little text fest about that I told her to have them check the brakes.
That turned into a fiasco too of course.
They wanted $75 just to do that because of the wheel bearing nuts that they claim need to be replaced if you take them off blah blah blah.
I told her to just fucking do it.
So then they tell her the bearings look rusty and that there is less than 1 mm of brake material so more bullshit ensues.
I told her, to tell them, to put the fucker back together and I would do the fucking brakes.
Me and my big mouth.
I had to use a fucking breaker bar finally to get those wheel bearing nuts loose and then the drums wouldn’t fucking budge.
I used to do a lot of brake jobs back in the day when I worked at the Lincoln/Mercury dealership so I have all kinds of special brake tools for those fucking Ford products.
It’s been a while but I dug around and finally found this bad ass motherfucker.
Yeah, Homie been to Granny’s house before.
A few good smacks with that bad boy and they popped right off.
Fuck you Ford.
This is where I love cell phones with cameras.
Ever took a set of brake shoes off and then couldn’t quite remember how the springs were oriented?
This set up was one I hadn’t run into and had a weird ratcheting wedge adjuster underneath the spreader bar and the first one I did took me a whole bunch of fucking around and many trips back into the garage for more special tools.
That E brake cable spring is a real motherfucker if you don’t have the special pliers I do that are just for that but since I do that part wasn’t too bad.
I did find one trailing shoe that had a crack in it the whole length of the shoe besides being flat wore out.
After I got the shoes on I cleaned the rust off the spindles and wiped out the bearings.
It took some fucking around but eventually they slid right back on.
Then came these little fuckers.
Take a look at this spindle, this was a new one on me.
It’s not tapered.
The bearing races jam up against each other.
So after another cell phone search of the internet I discover that fucking nut is supposed to be torqued down to 173 Ft.Lbs.!
No wonder I had to get the breaker bar out to get them loose.
Back into the garage for more drawer opening.
One of my most sacred tools, that Snappy Torque wrench was one expensive cock sucker even when I bought it fifteen years ago.
As you can see, it still looks brand new because I clean that bitch like a religious icon every time I use it.
You can see those brake cable spring pliers I was talking about earlier laying on top of the little crescent wrench.
So, torqued the damn nuts to 173 foot pounds, put everything back together, put all the fucking tools back and took it for a test spin.
By the time I got done torture testing them I am going to say I believe they work.
2 and 1/2 hours to do that little project.
I also got that generator to run. It started after cranking over 3 times and ran good.
Until you let off the start/run button.
It didn’t appear to be putting out any juice either.
As I recall I had issues with this years ago and it had something to do with having to wire in the remote start harness.
More fuckery to deal with later.
After dicking around with the brakes my lower back was screaming at me to remind me why I quit working on fucking cars for a living many moons ago.
Today I have other chores to do but hopefully wrenching on cars ain’t on that list.